T-Top Replacement Canvas Installation (Lacing)
How to lace canvas on your T-Top
Lace canvas on top
Lace canvas on T-top
Lace canvas on Shadow
Lace Sunbrella on T-Top
Lace Sunbrella on Shadow T-Top
Lace a boat T-top cover
Lacing canvas on top
Lacing canvas on T-top
Lacing canvas on Shadow
Lacing Sunbrella on T-Top
Lacing Sunbrella on Shadow T-Top
Lacing a boat T-top cover
- Lace the Canvas (30-40 minutes):
- If the top is off the boat, position the top so you can reach both sides easily,
by positioning the top:
- hanging in the air vertically from one end or a side,
- in place on the boat (working over your head can be tiring however), or
- with the end of the top on a table so you can reach underneath.
- Attach the canvas loosely using 6 to 8 "zip-ties" pulled through
grommets near the corners and around frame.
Once lined up, tighten, but not too tight.
- Start in the center at the front (if possible)
(Front/Middle on most T-Tops, T-Topless™, Montauk-T-Topless™ & Flats-Top™;
Rear/Middle on the Shadow™ & Montauk-Shadow™),
- You want to end up with the lacing running under the canvas
between grommets in order to turn the edges of the canvas down to shed water,
- Lace the canvas to the frame
(important to reverse over/under from left to right side to avoid kinking):
- Lace to the Left:
- Start lacing through the TOP of 1st grommet,
- Run lacing under canvas and up through the next grommet to the Left,
- Run lacing UNDER frame tubing and OVER the top of the frame tubing,
- Run lacing back through the TOP of same grommet,
- Repeat at the next grommet to the Left until finished,
- Lace to the Right (reverse under/over bar sequence):
- Start lacing through the TOP of 1st grommet at the center,
- Run lacing under canvas and up through the next grommet to the Right,
- Run lacing OVER frame tubing and UNDER the top of the frame tubing,
- Run lacing back through the TOP of same grommet,
- Repeat at the next grommet to the Right until finished.
- Pull all canvas lacing tight,
- Adjust lacing to center the canvas in the frame side-to-side and fore-and-aft,
- Pull all canvas lacing tight, but do NOT over-tighten!
The canvas should have a snug fit
with the edge having a smooth straight appearance.
Do not over-tighten to the point of "smiley's" between grommets
(this may void your warranty),
- Loop the "tag ends" through the last eyelet at each end 2 or 3 times,
- Tie the ends in a bow, then tie the loops of the bow in a square knot,
- Cut the loose "tag ends" of the lacing to about 3" and burn the ends to prevent unravelling.
- Weave these "tag ends" into the lacing for a finished look.
Square Lacing shown on Shadow™ Folding T-Top
- Factory Original-Equipment (OEM) Boat Canvas and Covers :
- Canvas & Cover Fabric:
Sunbrella® Marine Fabric
& Colors ...
Weblon® Regatta Fabric & Colors ...
Stamoid® Fabric & Colors ...
Top Gun® Fabric & Colors ...
Canvas/Covers Maintenance & Cleaning ...
Clear-Vinyl & Strataglass® Coated Vinyl Maintenance & Cleaning
- Canvas Types:
Boat Canvas Identification ...
Bimini-Top Canvas ...
T-Top Canvas ...
T-Top Spray-Shield ...
T-Top Gull-Wings ...
- Canvas Installation Instuctions:
Lacing on T-Top Replacement Canvas ...
T-Top Spray-Shield Installation ...
Bimini/Hard-Top Spray-Shield Installation ...
Side-Curtain Installation ...
Aft-Curtain Installation ...
Installing Male Snap Stud Screws in Aluminum T-Top ...
Drilling holes in Fiberglass for Male Snap Stud Screws ...
Canvas Care & Cleaning ...
Eisenglass and Strataglass® Cleaning & Care
- Verifying your Boat:
Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) AFTER Aug 01, 1984 ...
Hull Identification Numbers (HIN) BEFORE Aug 01, 1984 ...
Each of our boat manufacturers' canvas pages
have Photos of the Factory OEM T-Tops, Hard-Top, Bimini-Tops, Canvas, etc. at the
bottom of the page for verification
(Sea Hunt® Photos for example).
Please compare your boat against these photos to insure you have the
Original-Equipment (OEM) Top frame from the Factory
(some dealers, like Chatlee in NC and Ed's Marine Superstoe in VA,
install their own, after-market T-Tops).
Our Factory OEM canvas
does not fit after-market Tops!
Boston Whaler®, Sea Ray® and Grady White® do NOT allow
dealers to install their own, after-market tops on new boats,
so these are typically Factory OEM,
unless an owner installed their own top.
"Shade for Flats Boats"™
- We sell, DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC, most years (1990s forward depending on boat line - except the two current model years)
Factory Original-Equipment-Manufacturer (OEM) Canvas and Covers
made of Sunbrella®, SeaMark®, Stamoid®, Aqualon®
clear Eisenglass Vinyl and Strataglass® (as specified by boat manufacturer)
created, installed at the factory and originally sold for
Hurricane by Godfrey®,
Weeres Palm Beach®,
- We sell at a discount (and without 6-12% Sales Tax) versus the local dealers
since we "make-to-order" (Just-In-Time = JIT)
using our inventory of 1,000's of patterns
(no need to carry inventory)
and thus our overhead is lower.
- Unfortunately, agreements with boat manufacturers prevent us from selling the current (last 2 model years)
factory-original (OEM) production canvas, frames and covers direct to the public.
Some photos show optional items mounted on standard products.
Descriptive, typographical or photographical errors are subject to correction.
Lace your T-Top Canvas
Lace Replacement T-Top Canvas
Lacing your T-Top Canvas
Lacing Replacement T-Top Canvas
Ontario British Columbia BC Alberta Newfoundland Saskatchewan Manitoba Quebec New Brunswick Novia Scotia Labrador
ALABAMA AL ARIZONA AZ ARKANSAS AR CALIFORNIA CA COLORADO CO CONNECTICUT CT
DELAWARE DE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA DC FLORIDA FL GEORGIA GA
IDAHO ID ILLINOIS IL INDIANA IN IOWA IA KANSAS KS KENTUCKY KY LOUISIANA LA
MAINE ME MARYLAND MD MASSACHUSETTS MA MICHIGAN MI
MINNESOTA MN MISSISSIPPI MS MISSOURI MO MONTANA MT
NEBRASKA NE NEVADA NV NEW HAMPSHIRE NH NEW JERSEY NJ
NEW MEXICO NM NEW YORK NY NORTH CAROLINA NC NORTH DAKOTA ND
OHIO OH OKLAHOMA OK OREGON OR PENNSYLVANIA PA
RHODE ISLAND RI SOUTH CAROLINA SC SOUTH DAKOTA SD
TENNESSEE TN TEXAS TX UTAH UT VERMONT VT VIRGINIA VA
WASHINGTON WA WEST VIRGINIA WV WISCONSIN WI WYOMING WY